Psychology

The acid test for commitments to safety

In watching many Commitment Based Safety meetings and how employees are reporting in on their contributions to their commitments for the last 24 hours there is something noteworthy going on. As we know, in a zero injury culture every employee manages his or her risks every day. 

Read More

What are the psychological aspects of amputation?

As a safety and health professional, there will inevitably be those trying times when you must counsel a worker who has lost a finger, multiple fingers, a hand, or an entire arm to a work-related injury.

Read More

Economic demand – the impact on employee safety

It seems that workplace injuries are directly influenced by economic situations. As the price of raw materials increases, there is a natural tendency to take additional risks to produce more volume.  As the end of the calendar quarter approaches, there is added pressure to meet goals or deadlines.

Read More

Another tragedy on Mount Everest: And we wonder why some people are risk-takers

In April, a high-altitude avalanche killed 12 Sherpa guides and seriously wounded three in the single deadliest accident on Mount Everest, according to news reports.

Read More

Safety: Finding the Right Mix of Idealism and Realism

Are all accidents preventable? The idealist says that, under the right circumstances and with early detection of risks and trends, they are. The realist says that given probability, massive exposure to risks, human nature and imperfect performance a certain number of accidents are inevitable.

Read More
From the online “EHS Professionals” discussion group

How do you deal with abusive workers in your workplace?

Question posed by Tamara, a health and safety professional

A company should have a Code of Conduct that is understood through training and sign offs. After that it's a matter of implementation and enforcement. Usually these behaviors are a sign of larger issues that must be investigated and dealt with.

Read More

3 Tips for Practicing Mindfulness in a Multitasking Workplace

Google, eBay, Intel and General Mills offer classes on it. So do Harvard Business School, Ross School of Business and Claremont Graduate University, among other campuses. Mindfulness is not just a corporate trend, but a proven method for success. Mindfulness – being focused and fully present in the here and now – is good for individuals and good for a business’s bottom line.

Read More

Learn all you can about your safety audience

As I was catching up on the goings on of my friends and family on Facebook, I stumbled on a story of a teacher who truly knows how to communicate with students. First, the teacher made it a part of the job as a communicator to know and understand the audience. We, as safety leaders need to do the same.

Read More

How to retrain your brain & put the adult in charge

The human brain is a wonder of the universe, but our understanding of it can seem contradictory, says Steven Jay Fogel, author of the new book, "Your Mind Is What Your Brain Does for a Living.“ On the one hand, we’re often told of those crucial years that our brain develops in childhood, when we’re rapidly progressing in development of our language and other skills, and our preadolescent and teenage years, when our brains undergo a sort of second Big Bang of learning,” says Fogel.

Read More

I would never belong to a group that would have me as a member

The rise of the self-loathing safety professional

Recently I was talking to colleagues on the subject of talking to strangers on airplanes. Like many safety professionals I spend a fair amount of time crammed into an uncomfortable seat, breathing stale air, and having my space invaded by a mouth-breather whose idea of a good trip is chatting up the stranger beside him.

Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

Scenes from the World of Safety

Sights, signs & symbols from the National Safety Congress & Expo held in San Diego, CA, September 15-18

11/4/14 2:00 pm EST

Eye Injuries: You rarely see them coming. Practical Solutions for reducing injuries to the eye.

The 3M Eye Injury Reduction webinar will provide an examination of how to help solve eye injuries in the workplace. This issue continues to challenge virtually every industry, and the solution is often times multifaceted. 3M will share some new tools and approaches to help you in solving this issue.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN1014_cover.jpg

2014 October

This issue features articles about PPE safety and OSHA standards

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - SEPTEMBER 2014

ISHN FDO SEPTEMBER 2014For Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THE SEPTEMBER 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.