The American Industrial Hygiene Association® (AIHA) has announced the addition of 12 new distinguished Fellows. These individuals have been nominated by their colleagues and recognized for their extraordinary contributions to the industrial hygiene field. The new distinguished Fellows will be honored during the first annual Mark of Excellence Awards Breakfast on Wednesday, June 3 at the 2015 American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition (AIHce) in Salt Lake City, Utah, and will receive their award on Wednesday afternoon at a meeting of the AIHA Fellows Special Interest Group. The Fellow designation is limited to no more than five percent of the AIHA membership.
The new 2015 AIHA Fellows are as follows:
- George E. Byrns, MPH, PhD, CIH - Professor and Program Director of Environmental Health, Illinois State University; nominated by the Healthcare Working Group
- Joseph Barry Graffeo, CIH - Industrial Hygiene Consultant, Elanco Environmental Health/Safety; nominated by the Indiana Local Section
- L. Faye Grimsley, PhD, CIH - Associate Professor, Department of Global Environmental Health Sciences, Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine; nominated by the Fellows SIG
- Mark D. Hoover, PhD, CHP, CIH - Senior Research Scientist, CDC/NIOSH; nominated by the Nanotechnology Working Group
- Chrysoula J. Komis, PhD, CIH, CSP, CHMM, RBP - Senior Scientist, Colden Corporation; nominated by the Philadelphia Local Section
- Roger D. Lewis, PhD, CIH - Chairman, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, St. Louis University; nominated by the St. Louis Local Section
- Bruce E. Lippy, PhD, CIH, CSP - Director of Safety Research, The Center for Construction Research and Training; nominated by the Nanotechnology Working Group
- Sheryl A. Milz, PhD, CIH - Associate Professor of Public Health, University of Toledo; nominated by the Exposure Assessment Strategies Committee
- Richard L. Neitzel, PhD, CIH - Assistant Professor of Environmental Health Sciences, University of Michigan; nominated by the Noise Committee
- Andrea M. Sass-Kortsak, PhD, CIH, ROH - Associate Dean, Academic Affairs, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto; nominated by the Fellows SIG
- Michael V. Van Dyke, CIH, CSP - Chief of Environmental Epidemiology, Occupational Health and Toxicology, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment; nominated by the Rocky Mountain Local Section
- Martha A. Waters, PhD, MPH, CIH - Senior Research Health Scientist, CDC/NIOSH; nominated by the Ohio Valley Local Section
“We are honored to recognize this year's distinguished Fellows for their extraordinary dedication to the field of industrial hygiene and to AIHA,” said Christine A.D. Lorenzo, CIH, President of the AIHA Board of Directors. “Becoming a Fellow is a symbol of exceptional achievement for AIHA members. It will be a distinct pleasure to acknowledge their outstanding contributions at the Mark of Excellence Awards Breakfast.”
Fellows are nominated by a local section, special interest group, committee, or other formal AIHA entity, for their achievement in the field of industrial hygiene. Individuals are approved as Fellows by the AIHA Board of Directors after a recommendation by the Awards Committee.