IPIECA-IOGP, the global oil and gas industry association for environmental and social issues, has collaborated with the Drugs and Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA) to develop program elements that can be used to deter the use or misuse of drugs and alcohol in the workplace.
The association says the guidelines aim to improve oil and gas industry drug and alcohol program alignment by providing technical recommendations for program elements.
Specifically, the guidelines identify accepted practices for the following program areas:
- Identification of employees covered by these guidelines.
- Recommended testing for each employee category covered by these guidelines.
- Drug testing.
- Alcohol testing.
- Specimen collection.
- Review of drug test results.
- Reporting and record keeping.
- Contractor supervisor and employee training.
- Drug and alcohol inspections.
Much of the information is presented in tabular format and serve as example ‘checklists’ to be completed by the contractor as a record of applicability with regard to the specific testing circumstances, contractor or operator policy, or to local legislative requirements. The guidelines presented in this document have been created through a collaborative effort between contractors, operators, and drug and alcohol testing industry service providers and subject matter experts.