Changing the Workplace Safety Culture
New book shows how to implement safety management system
The only way to ensure that accidents and their consequences are tackled at the source is to identify and eliminate the workplace risks before, rather than after the event. The ongoing identification of workplace and worker risk must become a value to an organization and must occur automatically, as part of the culture of the organization if accidental losses are to be eliminated. This book shows that an organization's safety culture is the driving force behind successful safety management systems that constantly identify and reduce risk thus eliminating accidents which lead to injuries, property damage or environmental disasters.
Changing the Workplace Safety Culture:
- Explains in detail with many real-life examples management principles and functions that need to be applied to bring about safety culture change
- Supplies a step-by-step program to show how a safety management system is implemented
- Covers the roles that have to be played by leadership, employees, and unions and their members in safety culture change
- Discusses the value to an organization of ongoing identification of workplace and worker risks
- Shows that safety efforts can only be effective if they are practiced in corporate cultures that value loss prevention
"Ron McKinnon informs the reader of how management's role really sets what safety culture is all about. He guides the reader through a detailed discussion of why safety culture isn't just limited to a collection of random worker behaviors but is much more of a purposeful outcome of the active policies that management embraces, demonstrates, and leads with by example." —Jonathan Klane M.S.ed., CIH, CHMM, CET, 2012, Klane’s Education Information Training Hub
Safety at the Workplace. Accident Causation Theories. Safety Culture Change Management Functions. Safety Culture Change Management Principles. A Culture of Fear. Key Attributes of a Positive Safety Culture. Safety Management Systems. Steps toward Shifting the Workplace Safety Culture—Part 1. Steps toward Shifting the Workplace Safety Culture—Part 2. Steps toward Shifting the Workplace Safety Culture—Part 3. Steps toward Shifting the Workplace Safety Culture—Part 4. Steps toward Shifting the Workplace Safety Culture—Part 5. Steps toward Shifting the Workplace Safety Culture—Part 6. The Aluminum Company Case Study. The Copper Mine Case Study.
CRC Press Catalog no. K16352 July 2013, 252 pp. ISBN: 978-1-4665-6768-9 $99.95 / £63.99
Click here to purchase Changing the Workplace Safety Culture.