Systems Thinking

Puncturing 6 common work-related myths

Life’s lies that lead you off the path
April 1, 2014
With organizations reducing the size of their workforce and the continual march of Baby Boomers into retirement, those remaining are finding they are not only doing their job, but also tasks of their departed co-worker’s job.

Read More

What “One Word” captures your safety needs?

It’s an examination in self-reflection—for both top leaders and employees
March 4, 2014
My friend and colleague, Dan Rockwell, introduced his blog followers to a little book that will not only change your personal life, but might have a demonstrable impact on your safety program.

Read More

20 tips for being a corporate diplomat

February 3, 2014
Essentially all managers know the likelihood of going to jail for safety violations is practically zero.

Read More

You’ve been promoted to manage, now what?

Once they like you, the cats you herd are good companions
January 2, 2014
Clients and students of mine ask what they need to do to one day be chosen for the ES&H vice president role.

Read More

Quality vs. safety: Not a superiority contest

One-upmanship harms business competitiveness
December 5, 2013
Recently a colleague at my office, Dr. Ron Schulingkamp, shared a Quality Progress article entitled “Quality vs. Safety” by Mustafa Ghaleiw.

Read More

Do we really need I2P2?

How would small & medium-sized firms comply?
November 4, 2013
OSHA is describing its I2P2 as a proactive process to help employers find and fix workplace hazards before workers get hurt.

Read More

The dangerous safety narcissist

Stand up to boorish, self-absorbed arrogance
October 2, 2013
Drawing upon Dr. James’ theory (i.e., definition), I’ll take a stab at categorizing a Safety narcissist into two groups of individuals – the employee version and the safety professional version.

Read More

To truly change your culture… Requires deep insight and broad understanding

September 5, 2013
When undertaking an organizational transformation, often we are challenged to explain what the culture is and why we need to “change” it.

Read More

You really can change your safety culture

But you must reprogram how you see things
August 1, 2013
Continuing the changing culture theme from last month, let’s explore Mark Bodnarczuk’s Island of Excellence® Change Model.

Read More

So you want to integrate safety…

Do you have a safety subculture residing in a silo?
July 9, 2013
Do you believe there is a subculture within the overall culture of your organization that is all about safety and nothing else?

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE's Safety 2013 Review

A photo gallery from the Las Vegas Convention Center, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 24 to 27. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

ISHN Magazine

ishn april 2014 issue cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out features about safety in the oil and gas industry.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - January 2014

ISHN0114_FDO_cov.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEJANUAYR 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.