OSHA’s National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction takes place next week, May 8-12. It’s a voluntary event during which employers are asked to take a break – or “stand down” – and have a conversations with their workers about fall hazards and fall prevention. It can also be an opportunity for employees to talk to management about fall hazards they see on the job.
An administrative law judge with the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission has ruled that two Massachusetts contractors - A.C. Castle Construction Co. Inc. and Daryl Provencher, doing business as Provencher Home Improvements - were operating as a single employer at a Wenham worksite when three employees were injured in October 2014.
The construction company that was remodeling the former Copper Lounge building when it collapsed and killed a worker on Dec. 2 will be fined nearly $100,000 by the federal government for a host of violations related to the construction site.
A 59-year-old construction worker died earlier this month after falling 18 feet from site at New York City’s Times Square.
The victim was identified in news reports as Jose Cruz. The accident occurred when Cruz fell from an I-beam near the second floor of the building while helping to remove part of a steel deck from a slab.
The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)-Pelican Chapter in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and The Associated General Contractors-Rio Grande Valley Chapter in Corpus, Christi Texas have signed agreements with OSHA under its Alliance Program to help reduce hazards at their worksites.
With less than three weeks to go before its National Safety Stand Down to Prevent Falls in Construction, the “Events” section on the portion of the OSHA website devoted to the stand down is largely empty.
The following states show no Stand-Down activities listed:
A construction worker was seriously injured last week at a worksite in Queens when a cable on a crane snapped and dropped a seven-ton beam on him.
News reports say the I-Beam was attached to a crawler crane and was being used to drive steel sheeting into the ground at the commercial construction site. The cable attaching the beam to the crawler crane snapped and the beam fell on the worker’s legs, pinning him and breaking both legs.
Reactions to OSHA’s decision to delay enforcing the federal standard reducing permissible exposure to silica dust have been mixed – and strong.
“With construction season underway, three months of delay means that millions of workers will be exposed to hazardous silica dust that will make them sick and take their lives,” said Marcy Goldstein-Gelb, co-executive director of the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health (NationalCOSH.org).
OSHA yesterday announced a delay in enforcement of the crystalline silica standard to September 23, 2017.
The rule, which applies to the construction industry, was originally scheduled to begin June 23, 2017.
The agency said the delay would enable it to conduct additional outreach and provide educational materials and guidance for employers.