Safety Culture

Mind your meeting manners --- Everyone’s role

When all attendees understand their roles and responsibility before, during and after the meeting, a positive synergy is created. The group process technique focuses on the goals of the safety committee and creates a shared vision to achieve success effectively and efficiently by its members.

Read More

Leadership – A matter of capacity, character and competence

Who knows how many thousands of books and articles have been written about leadership? In contrast, blog articles written on leadership typically have 500 or fewer words. So, here is a short version that deals with my interpretation of material taught at West Point and applied in a practical manner by many individuals (with editorial license here and there on my part).

Read More

“One size fits all” safety and health programs don’t address the diversity of the generation entering the workforce

One of the most meaningful events organized at the triennial World Congress on Health and Safety was the establishment of the first International Youth Congress.

Read More

Always start your safety meeting on time

Let's begin with starting on time. As a safety speaker you should always start on time. No matter what the circumstances, I always start on time. It doesn't matter what's going on.

Read More

Realize the connection between productivity and safety

The connection between workplace health and safety programs and worker productivity is gaining strength.

Read More
Advertisement

Take EHS on the Go with Mobility

Always Keep Safety and Compliance at Hand
Mobility has revolutionized the way organization’s today are using technology to manage and track compliance.

Read More

What is the one issue in safety that everyone deals with daily?

A recent conversation among members of the EHSQ Elite (Number One in Safety) LinkedIn discussion group: “Apathy and lack of passion. Thinking that standards, rules, and regulations are for everyone else. I see safety as like balancing a see saw. On one end are risks and hazards, the other end is what you will do to mitigate hazards and risks to keep the see saw in balance.”

Read More

Give me what I need to know – How to improve safety communications

From time to time when I am introduced in public, I get questioned about the three initials that follow my name—PhD. People in my community seldom know I have such a degree. The few that do know sometimes give me their humorous definitions of what the three letters mean to them: Piled Higher and Deeper, Push Harder Dummy, Post Hole Digger and the like. You may very well have some others to add to this humorous list.

Read More

Trust, transparency & truthfulness

In discussions of ethics, we often focus on rules. We analyze codes of ethics and we evaluate our legal obligations. Yet, ethical conduct incorporates three values that we intrinsically understand yet often have difficulty defining – trust, transparency and truthfulness.

Read More

Don’t track me down versus the need to know

San Diego CA - Personnel tracking technology is one of the fascinating research and development progressions on display at the National Safety Congress and Expo being held here in hot and humid (unbelievably) San Diego. For two weeks temperatures in the San Diego area have hovered between 90 to 100 degrees, sending many residents in search of air conditioners, and having attendees walking to the convention center work up a good sweat.

Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

Scenes from the World of Safety

Sights, signs & symbols from the National Safety Congress & Expo held in San Diego, CA, September 15-18

11/4/14 2:00 pm EST

Eye Injuries: You rarely see them coming. Practical Solutions for reducing injuries to the eye.

The 3M Eye Injury Reduction webinar will provide an examination of how to help solve eye injuries in the workplace. This issue continues to challenge virtually every industry, and the solution is often times multifaceted. 3M will share some new tools and approaches to help you in solving this issue.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN1014_cover.jpg

2014 October

This issue features articles about PPE safety and OSHA standards

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - SEPTEMBER 2014

ISHN FDO SEPTEMBER 2014For Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THE SEPTEMBER 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.