Lack of PPE, training cost electrician his life
Ferro Magnetics cited for 1 willful, 14 serious safety violations
A 31-year-old assembly technician had only been working for a battery charger manufacturer for about a month when he was killed on the job.
The man was electrocuted while testing transformers in November of 2014.
OSHA investigators found that the fatality might have been prevented if his employer, Ferro Magnetics Corp., had supplied adequate personal protective equipment, followed safety procedures and provided training.
"In seconds, a family was altered forever, and a young girl is now fatherless," said Bill McDonald, OSHA's area director in St. Louis. "Companies that operate with high-voltage electricity must train workers to recognize hazards and use proper procedures to prevent electrical shock."
Ferro Magnetics of Bridgeton, Missouri has been cited for one willful and 14 serious safety violations. In its inspection, OSHA found multiple electrical safety hazards; machines with moving parts without safety guards; and inadequate protections to stop machine starts during service and maintenance. Inspectors also found hand, eye and face protection was not supplied. Additionally, hazardous chemicals were stored improperly and employees were allowed to use damaged powered industrial trucks.
The company faces penalties of $106,400. View the current citations at http://www.osha.gov/ooc/citations/FerroMagneticsCorporation_1007955.pdf*
Ferro Magnetics sells its chargers nationwide for use in many industries.