Employees of Lake Compounce Family Theme Park who sprayed coatings on park equipment and worked with caustic chemicals in the park's paint room were exposed to chemical, burn and respirator hazards, according to OSHA inspectors, who cited the Bristol facility for 18 serious violations of workplace safety standards.
OSHA found that the company failed to:
- Monitor workers' exposure to hexavalent chromium and methylene chloride, both hazardous chemicals
- Train employees about hazardous chemicals
- Complete a hazard assessment for protective equipment needed by workers
- Provide required eye- and hand-washing facilities for employees working with chemicals
- Fit-test and determine employees' ability to wear respirators and provide them with respirator training
- Ground electrical equipment properly
- Keep spark-producing tools out of a flammable spray booth
- Dispose of flammable waste properly
- Prevent flammable spraying when a ventilation system is inactive
Proposed penalties: $70,200.