The June 17 electrocution death of a worker at an Albany nightclub/restaurant/bar could have been prevented with a combination of training and proper work practices, according to OSHA.

JBC of Albany, NY Inc., also known as Jillian's, was cited for two alleged serious violations of workplace safety standards following an OSHA inspection. The employee, a maintenance worker and door host, was electrocuted when he came in contact with an exposed 230-volt electrical contact while attempting to fix a leak in a commercial dishwasher.

OSHA's inspection found that, in addition to the exposed live electrical part, the dishwasher had not been deenergized prior to beginning the repair work, and the worker had not been trained in working with or around live electricity. As a result, OSHA issued two serious citations and proposed $5,000 in fines.

“This is a textbook example of what can happen when workers are not trained so they can recognize and prevent potentially deadly hazards,” said John Tomich, OSHA's Albany area director.