Post-Katrina: Emergency call for health professional volunteers
- Nursing Assistants/Nursing Support Technicians
- Clinical Physicians
- Nursing Staff Directors
- Patient Transporters/Volunteers
- Physician's Assistants or Nurse Practitioners
- Environmental Health
- Facility Managers
- Respiratory Therapists
- Safety Officers
- Security Officers
- Social Workers
- Substance Abuse Counselors
- Supply Managers
- Mental Health Workers.
If you are interested in helping in an official capacity as a federal disaster worker use this link â€” https://volunteer.ccrf.hhs.gov.
According to DHHS, this work might include all or some of the following:
- 12-hour shifts
- Austere conditions (possibly no showers, housing in tents)
- No air conditioning
- Long periods of standing
- Sleep accommodations on bed roll
- Military ready to eat meals
- Portable toilets.
Workers will be non-paid temporary federal employees, and will be eligible for coverage under the Federal Tort Claims Act for liability coverage and workers' compensation when functioning as HHS employees. Although there will not be any salary, travel and per diem will be paid.
Assignments may last 14 days or longer. It is required that applicants have Hepatitis B and Tetanus/Diphtheria immunizations for this assignment.