Warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, rapid breathing and heartbeat, fainting, and confusion. Once people show symptoms it's important to:
  • Remove the person to fresh air
  • Loosen tight clothing
  • Administer CPR if needed
  • Call 911 or the local rescue squad
  • Give oxygen if available
  • Evacuate the building
  • Call the fire department to test CO levels
  • Don't allow anyone to reenter the building until CO levels are safe.

(Source: Maine Department of Labor)