Workplace violence: Run, hide or fight
October 10, 2012
The city of Houston's public service announcement video is a dramatic enactment of a shooting in a large office building, and uses the dramatization to illustrate the details of the three main strategies.
- When an active shooter is in your vicinity, run.
- If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate.
- Evacuate whether others agree to or not.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Prevent others from entering the area.
- Call 9-1-1 when you are safe.
- If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide.
- Lock and/or barricade the door.
- Silence your cell phone.
- Turn out the lights.
- Hide behind large objects.
- Remain very quiet.
- Your hiding place should be out of the shooter's view.
- It should provide protection if shots are fired in your direction.
- Do not trap or restrict your options for movement.
- As a last resort, if your life is in danger, fight back.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Act with physical aggression.
- Improvise weapons, such as using a chair or fire extinguisher to strike the shooter.
- Commit to your actions.