Training/Incentives

Electrical workers are creatures of habit, too

December 2, 2013

Adapting to the safe work practices of NFPA 70E likely means some major changes in how your electrical workers have done things in the past. Your electrical workers likely didn’t think twice about opening an energized 480 volt electrical panel. Now with standards in place, they must first determine arc flash hazard levels, PPE, safety boundaries and fill out an energized work permit.

Read More

Verizon agrees to step up safety training after worker electrocuted

Company reaches settlement with Labor Dept.
November 18, 2013

Telecommunications giant Verizon has agreed to provide enhanced electrical safety training to its New York field technicians, following the fatal electrocution of a worker in Brooklyn on Sept. 14, 2011.

Read More

Electrical safety training Q&A

November 14, 2013

Ron Spataro, Director of Marketing, and Steve Foutch, Vice President sales and Operations, both of AVO Training Institute, Dallas, TX (www.avotraining.com) (877-594-3156; 214-330-3522) answer questions from ISHN magazine about electrical safety training.

Read More

Safety awards should never be used as a carrot

November 13, 2013

In 2005 I completed a dissertation on the effectiveness of safety awards on reducing at-risk behaviors. Although not primarily directed at safety, I was surprised to learn that there is a goodly amount of literature on the subject; particularly within the behavioral sciences.

Read More

FAA issues long-awaited new pilot training rules

Some are based on decades-old NTSB recommendations
November 12, 2013

Better late than never seems to be the National Transportation Safety Board’s (NTSB) reaction to new Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules regarding pilot training. NTSB Chairman Deborah Hersman commended the FAA for finalizing the long-awaited rule, “which addresses recommendations stemming from accidents dating back more than two decades.”

Read More

New online courses provide HazCom training for Spanish- and Canadian French-speaking employees

November 7, 2013

Companies now have an easy way to train Spanish- and Canadian French-speaking employees on critical hazard communication topics, with J. J. Keller's new online editions of its HazCom:What You Need To Know training program.

Read More

Will OSHA ban safety incentive programs?

November 7, 2013

I have heard that OSHA may ban safety incentive programs. My company has used an employee incentive program that provides a bonus for meeting quality, productivity, and safety performance targets. The program has been very successful, has reduced injuries and is popular with employees.

Read More

Sustaining culture change by building a safety infrastructure

October 30, 2013

Over the past couple of weeks I have criticized the mad rush of snake oil sales men from BBS to the new –found goldmine of one form or another of “culture-based” safety.  I like to alternate my posts from the critical, to the (hopefully) helpful.  Much ado is made about the holy grail of injury prevention, but scant little has been offered around sustaining change.

Read More

Random acts of Rewarding

The positive power of spontaneity
October 2, 2013
Every week, a new study in behavioral science is published that demonstrates the importance of context.

Read More

Your A-Z resource for construction safety

October 2, 2013
This is a list of resources for maintaining construction safety on the job.

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSEâ??s Safety 2014 Review

A gallery of photos from the sprawling Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 8-11. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

6/26/14 2:00 pm EDT

Realizing ROI from Your Gas Detection Program

This presentation will cover why a safe workplace equates to good business, why keeping workers truly safe from hazardous gases requires a complete gas detection program, and how your investment can ensure an ROI to your overall business.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN0714_cover.jpg

2014 July

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out the top training companies and find out who the winners of the ISHN/ASSE Safety 2014 awards are.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - May 2014

ISHN0514FDO_cover.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEMAY 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.