The American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) is seeking a new Executive Director (ED), a position based in Park Ridge, Illinois and one that reports to the organization’s President and its Board of Directors.
Founded in 1911, ASSE has a global membership of more than 36,000 safety, health and environmental practitioners worldwide. ASSE advocates on behalf of its members while also providing robust professional development, training and networking opportunities. ASSE has an annual budget of approximately $18M, staff of 75, and operates a robust network of 152 chapters in the United States and internationally.
The ED “will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, staff and ASSE stakeholders to build upon the organization’s rich legacy and address the evolving needs of the safety professional community,” according to Korn Ferry, an executive search firm. “S/he will provide inspirational, strategic leadership, and effective management of the organization and staff. The ED will ensure that ASSE provides a robust and relevant value proposition and foster a collaborative culture of member engagement, performance, accountability, innovation, communication and service.”
Additionally, the ED is responsible for:
- Strategic Direction
- Board Relations
- Staff Leadership
- Advocacy/Public Policy
- External Relationships
- Membership Development
- Revenue Generation
- Financial and Operational Oversight.
- A Master’s degree is strongly preferred; a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A strong commitment and passion for advancing the mission and interests of the members of ASSE
- Track record for effectively leading the development and execution of a strategic plan in conjunction with a Board of DirectorsAbility to maintain a transparent relationship with the Board with a servant leadership style and operating with the highest level of integrity
- Strong organizational leadership experience including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Outstanding relationship building skills, key to forging and sustaining relationships with members, regional associations, the business community, and other key stakeholders
- Stellar interpersonal and communications skills, with experience serving as a spokesperson and advocate for an organization
- An out-of-the-box thinker who can operate as a solutions architect on critical initiatives, creating and identifying new tools and programs to better serve current and future members of ASSE
- Experience attracting, developing, motivating and retaining strong talent, and building and managing a high-performing team in a results-oriented and fast-paced environment
- Proven management, business, technology, and financial acumen within an organization of similar or larger scale and complexity
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations
- A global perspective, key to future global expansion of the organization.
Interested candidates may contact Becky Graham at Becky.Graham@kornferry.com.