Psychology

You see it, you own it

By John Drebinger Jr.

More than 24 years ago when I began speaking to audiences about safety, this was the title of my presentation. I was reminded of it when I was being interviewed by Dave Johnson with ISHN www.ishn.com.

Read More

Feeling bad at work can be a good thing

(And vice versa)
No Comments

Research by the University of Liverpool suggests that, contrary to popular opinion, it can be good to feel bad at work, while feeling good in the workplace can sometimes lead to negative outcomes.

Read More

Get off the EHS island: Translate the lofty ideals set by the C-Suite into real-world scenarios that workers understand

By Larry Curtis CHSM

Whether you work in Aviation, Mining or the Zoo Industry, the EHS Department is often caught in the middle between the C-Suite and everybody else in the company.

Read More

Personality styles in meetings — which is yours?

By Dr. Isabel Perry

Everyone is a blend of all four personality types—dominance, influence, steadiness and consciousness. There is not right or wrong; most people tend to exhibit one or two styles.

Read More

Ten things productive employees don’t do

Avoid the mistakes below and you will be able to increase your productivity by 200 percent
By Marwan Jamal
No Comments

Wait till they feel motivated, they just do it. “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” -Stephen King. Your ability to do things when you don’t feel like it defines how much you get paid at the end of the week/month.

Read More

Fostering mental health in the workplace

A Canadian perspective
No Comments

Today, more than ever, there’s a higher expectation that employers will take our health into consideration while we’re on the job. But while many organizations should be commended for protecting our physical health, there is still an unfortunate disconnect when it comes to our mental health.

Read More

Is the Golden Rule selfish?

Since childhood, we have all been raised by the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Many would cite this ethical code as one of their aspirations by which to live, both personally and professionally.

Read More

Why do we break the rules?

Short-cutters get work done and praise from managers
By James E. Leeman Ph.D.
No Comments
Why do employees break the rules? Let me take the liberty to focus on reasons that appear to be surfacing more often today according to my experiences

Read More

The Behavior-based safety death spiral

Five keys to recharge an observation process
By Chuck Pettinger
No Comments
Can organizations learn anything from the simple ant?

Read More

Are we addicted to stress?

For many, pending deadlines and packed schedules are not overwhelming, but instead can be a driving force that pushes them toward greater productivity. We have processes to streamline, goals to achieve, promotions to earn, debt to eliminate, exercise regimes to master, dreams to chase, and people to help and inspire.

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE Safety 2014 Review

A gallery of photos from the sprawling Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 8-11. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

9/9/14 2:00 pm EDT

Welding: It doesn't have to be a grind. The latest in respiratory protection and PPE for welders and grinder

Attendees of this webinar will gain knowledge of hazards and appropriate PPE for welding applications, regulatory drivers that are changing the landscape of PPE within welding applications and the latest product technologies being offered in welding PPE.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN_0814cov.jpg

2014 August

Check out ISHN's August issue which features content about pain prevention, forklift operation safety and a preview of the National Safety Congress and Expo.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - May 2014

ISHN0514FDO_cover.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEMAY 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.