Reportlinker Insight set out to find out if Americans consider themselves healthy and in shape; what motivates them to work out; and if they monitor their fitness.
- 77% say being in good shape and looking good is very important to them
- But 42% consider themselves to be overweight
- And only 37% of respondents believe they are in good shape
- Also, 56% of respondents are concerned they are not strong or muscular enough
- And 75% admit to comparing how they look to others
Where/how do we work out?
Joining a fitness center is the most popular way to exercise, mentioned 40% of the time, followed by basketball and swimming (35% each), jogging (34%) and yoga (21%).
- 39% of people work out between three and five hours per week
- The lack of motivation stands as one of the biggest obstacles to working out regularly as only 31% say exercising is a habit
Setting goals for more motivation & performance
- 30% of respondents are more likely to work out if they set themselves a personal record.
- 48% of joggers say they use a smartphone to track miles while 46% of swimmers use one to monitor performance at the pool.
To see all the survey results click here.