Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when you choose the environmentally friendly option of disposing waste through a commercial trash compactor for your business.
A commercial trash compactor can be an excellent solution for any business that generates a large amount of waste and wants to get rid of it effectively, in an environmentally friendly manner. Here are some vital safety tips to keep in mind if you are planning on getting a trash compactor for your business.
Train your employees to use the trash compactor properly
- One of the most important guidelines that need to be implemented when using a trash compactor is to make sure all the personnel operating it are adequately trained. Of particular interest: employees need to know how to perform an emergency stop, in case it is ever required.
- Untrained personnel should not be allowed to operate a compactor or be in the vicinity of a compactor while it is in operation.
Use safety equipment when operating a trash compactor
Make sure a long rod or stick is available to use in moving items. This is necessary because sometimes items thrown into a trash compactor might need to be moved or shifted for a proper fit.
Know load limits
Make sure the commercial trash compactor is not overloaded, which can result in a hazardous situation or a malfunction that might be costly to repair.. It is important that the personnel operating the trash compactor knows its loading limits.
Be aware of small animals
While this should not be a problem as long as the compactor door is kept closed, a raccoon or some other animal might end up inside the compactor. Anyone who is operating the commercial trash compactor should check the device before loading it.
Perform regular repair and maintenance
Choose a good location for the compactor
It's important to keep a few considerations in mind before determining where to place the commercial trash compactor:
- Does it need to be close to a specific storage area?
- Is there enough space for maintenance work to be performed on the trash compactor if required?
- Is there enough space for accessories like conveyors and chutes for the trash compactor?
If you follow these safety instructions, then using a commercial trash compactor as a waste management tool doesn't just help the environment, but it also helps with cost-cutting. Using a trash compactor is more cost-effective in the long run than sending waste to a waste management site.