Working at home?
- Falls when reaching for high shelves and storage; and trips from cables, wires, ironing cords, toys and fans;
- Torn or frayed carpets, carpets that are loose on the floor, and floors that are slippery;
- Heated surfaces such as coffee makers and hot plates that could trigger a fire in the office;
- Electrical circuits in older homes that might not be able to handle additional electrical loads from fax machines, computers, scanners and so on.
ASSE safety experts say you should:
- Have a licensed / bonded electrician inspect your existing home electrical system and upgrade it if needed;
- Develop a fire evacuation plan;
- Use a hand-held cart to move heavy boxes;
- Move desks close to power outlets and phone jacks to avoid tripping hazards;
- Prohibit smoking;
- Make sure fire extinguishers are acceptable for multiple exposures.