NIOSH to develop best practices in motor vehicle safety in the oil and gas industry
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of fatality in the oil and gas extraction industry. They make up 29% of all fatalities in this industry. The majority of fatalities are workers from well servicing companies. These workers drive long distances on rural highways to travel to well sites. Often these roads lack firm shoulders and other safety features. The goals of this project are to:
- Analyze motor vehicle fatalities in the industry to better understand circumstances, trends, and identify workers that are most at risk.
- Conduct a literature review of industry motor vehicle safety programs.
- Identify best practices of motor vehicle safety programs in the industry.
- Develop a Motor Vehicle Oil and Gas Workgroup composed of industry, NIOSH and other stakeholder representatives who are dedicated to reducing motor vehicle injury in the industry.
- In partnership with the workgroup, create and disseminate products that support the implementation of best practices in motor vehicle safety for the oil and gas industry.